Previous posts

Friday 18 September 2015

Week two: a published online news piece and more shorthand

And so week two of my journalism course finishes...with more media law to remember (no problem, I actually quite enjoy it), more reporting tips to drill in (easy peasy) and of course, more shorthand to practice (I'm not sure whether to go AAAAARRGGHHHH or YAAAYYY at this point given I love and loathe it in equal measure).

The last shorthand lesson on a Thursday afternoon is the most hated one. Mainly because by that point most of us have spent at least six hours (13 including class time) frantically learning and practicing outlines of blends and joins plus all the new 'rules' and special forms we've learnt so we can have a meagre shot at passing the 100wpm required for the NCTJ gold standard certificate; so the prospect of another two hours (plus two hours after/outside of class time) is enough to send us all over the edge. I certainly become more than a little flustered after the first hour.

Couple that with more practice on the train home and all I could see as I walked through my front door were squiggles and lines in a mishmash of shapes and sizes threatening to burst my head open.

On the plus side, I did manage to secure a placement on my local paper and wrote a lovely story about a local boy who came runner up in a national writing competition - not exactly breaking news but it felt good to see something else I'd written published!

I also decided to sign up for additional shorthand practice as I plan to get this gold standard at any cost and the only way to do that is to get to the 100wpm as quickly as possible in order to focus on the other modules.

Ciao for now!


No comments:

Post a Comment