Previous posts

Sunday 4 January 2015

Powerful intoxication

"The day the power of love overrules the love of power, the world will know peace."
- Mahatma Gandhi

We see it everywhere. Power struggles and people getting drunk on power to the point where they forget how to treat people well; and understandably so - it's powerful, is power. For wasn't it a wise person who once said: "But constant experience has shown us that every man invested with power is apt to abuse it, and carry his authority as far as it will go."

It can ruin relationships, whether personal and professional, and create unnecessary resentment towards others. This, in turn, creates rebellion and a hostile environment, which no one wants to be a part of. Even if it isn't done deliberately, this intoxication can prove fatal to human relationships.

Whether it's car bullies (those idiots who tailgate to get you to move out of the way so they can go zooming off, even though you're sticking to *AHEM and sometimes breaking AHEM* the speed limit), people in hospitals who blame you when their systems mess up (as has happened to me recently), people issuing instructions left, right and centre and making unreasonable demands without any offer of help, or those not taking responsibility when they've done something majorly wrong, people being drunk on power are all around us; peppered within society like burning hot chillies in a mild dish and about as welcome as snow in May.

When did life become all about getting one over another person and making them feel totally sh*t so you can feel better about yourself? Or shouting the loudest about the things you want, so you'll eventually bully people into getting them? I don't ever remember having to fight through so many power struggles in order to get from one place to another or to get things done, or even to do the things I need to do on a day-to-day basis.

So one of my aims for 2015 is to (try my hardest) to not react to these people. I believe in karma and I just need to sit back and let her do her job. Reacting to it and feeling hurt doesn't do me any good and if there's one thing I'm determined to do this year, it's to look after my health and well being (I definitely don't do it enough) and start to practice mindfulness (I definitely don't do this at all!)

For a change, I'd like to try the power of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment